Monday, November 11, 2013

Veteran's Day, 2013

"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." -George S. Patton

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms.  It means a strong desire to live taking the form of readiness to die." -G.K. Chesterton
(from images: youthedesigner.com)

(from: oldboyconservative.wordpress.com; h. rockwell)
Today is the day set aside to honor our veterans: living and dead.  I have a great love of this country, and truly am grateful for all who have fought so hard to keep it free.  I am proud to have a husband who served his country, and he tells me that he, too, is glad he served.  In fact, he tells me he might have been a lifer in the military, if they would have only given him some place he had requested.  Instead, they sent him where they wanted him to go.  He was in the Army stationed at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky in the 101 1st Airborne.


He only had to fly in helicopters with sick patients, and he did not like it very much.  He preferred staying on the ground.  
Warren receiving his new rank medals (Major)


My veteran today.  
I went to the courthouse this morning thinking they might have something commemorating the veterans, but I think they had the parades, and parties on Saturday.  I took a picture of the new wall honoring our fallen soldiers from various wars.  This one was from the War on Terror.  Chris Sanders is the 4th name down.  He went to NMMI with my boys, his mother was Warren's nurse when he first went out on his own, and Chris was Warren's patient.  

Flag flying at the Courthouse Wall of heroes.

Flags out on Main Street.
I found a blog this morning written from a wife whose husband is about to be deployed.  It is so wonderful.  This blog is a must read.  Have your kleenix handy.  Please stop by her blog on this Veteran's Day, and send her a word of encouragement.  It is one way we can honor our veterans.

Thank a Veteran today.  God Save America!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog