Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Great Pumpkin Carving...

"It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown." -Charles Schultz, The Great Pumpkin



While I do not particularly like the witches, ghosts, and goblins of Halloween, I do like the idea of celebrating Harvest, and being thankful for all the bounty the Lord has given us.  When our kids were little, our church had a "harvest celebration" as an alternative to Halloween.  There were no scary costumes, there were cake walks, fishing booths, mazes, and all kinds of carnival type activities.  The kids loved it.  Luke and Jordan's church does a similar fair.  So here are a few glimpses of their activities.

Tate and Luke

Sawyer must be Tigger!  



With Mark and Amber, Amber usually hosts a pumpkin carving party and they dress up, but this year there was no pumpkin carving since they are in a new place.  Mark had her get rid of their costumes when they moved, so Amber had to buy new costumes this year.  I like her choice...they are heroes this year: a fireman, his lady, and the faithful dog...

Mark, Amber, and Oliver
This year Warren and I got invited to a pumpkin carving party at the DeFrancos.  It was a first for us.  The day before we scooped the insides out of our pumpkins.  Maggie was there to help us with our work, and to check things out.

Maggie checks things out...

Hmmm.  What's on the inside?  Maybe a good place to hide.
 I showed Warren some photos of pumpkins that were carved by drilling.  He decided that was a pretty good idea, and took his drill and bits to the party.
Master at work...
 Creative minds have to think about the best design and approach. My pumpkin is the one next to Warren.  I am not so creative.  I used a paper pattern.
Thinking...
 He has a design in mind and sets to work.
Hard at work...

such concentration...
 I am piercing my paper so I will know where to carve. It's kind of like outlining before carving.
Piercing my design...
 Here is my cat on the moon with stars all around.  I think it turned out so cute.
My pumpkin
Here is Warren's pumpkin.  A snaggle-toothed face.  Pretty cute!  Looks like something a pediatrician would do.  Simple for the kids, and fun!
Warren's pumpkin



All the pumpkins carved by everyone at the party.

Lighting the pumpkins

Some of the designs were very intricate.  I think they all turned out really cool.  

up close of my pumpkin

up close of Warren's
I think Warren's looks like it has a flat-top hair do.  We both enjoyed our first time carving a pumpkin.  We will have to try a little harder design next year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog