Friday, February 3, 2012

Flash of Brilliance lesson; NMMI library

I have finished my first week of my external flash class.  It has been interesting.  I have basically remained  "in the dark," (get it...a flash lights up the dark). Our assignment was to take two pictures.  One with the flash pointed directly at the subject, which produces shadows and harsh lighting, and one with the flash bounce off the ceiling or back wall.  Here is the one I submitted.
I can see I have to figure out how to get the light more evenly distributed on the face and less shadow under the chin.  I had my flash tilted a little...maybe I should have tried the bounce off the back wall to see what that would have done.  I have to work fast.  My subjects are not willing to be subjects very long.  I miss my cat, Smidge.  He was great at just lying around, hence he made a great subject. He did what he did best and that was... lie around.  He was pretty good at eating, too.

Our creative assignment was to photograph a moving subject in a totally dark room.  We have one room that is pretty dark, so I told Erynn to take off her shoes and jump on the bed for me.  (in the dark). She looked at me like I was crazy, and reminded me she was not supposed to do that.  I told her it was a class assignment, and then she was very willing to oblige.  I think she had a great time.  This photo session lasted a little longer than the other.  Perhaps it was because she was doing something fun and forbidden.  It is interesting how the flash will freeze motion at a very low shutter speed.
I have always loved the NMMI library at the top of Richardson Street.  It just stirs something inside me, and it makes me proud especially with the flag flying. Kind of patriotic.  I liked it even before my boys attended school there.  On this day, I happened to have my camera with me, so I stopped to take a picture.  Not at the best time of day...too much light, and definitely not the golden hour, but I took pictures anyway.

Squint, and you can barely see the flag!

The flag is not visible here, but I liked the clock framed by the trees.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog