Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Yom Kippur and Grounding...

"The Lord said to Moses, "The tenth day of this seventh month is the Day of Atonement.  Hold a sacred assembly and deny yourselves, and present an offering made to the Lord by fire...this is to be a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live." Leviticus 23:1; 32

Today is Yom Kippur, and I was invited to celebrate the Holy convocation at the Andrew's house.  We had a small group of six.  Mark grilled steaks, Karen made lentils, and baked sweet potatoes, and we had blackberry Kefir ice cream for dessert...all before sundown.  After the meal, Mark read and explained the ceremony.

Yom Kippur (Hebrewיוֹם כִּפּוּר‎‎, IPA: [ˈjom kiˈpuʁ], or יום הכיפורים), also known as Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for the Jewish people. Its central themes are atonement and repentance. Jewish people traditionally observe this holy day with a 25-hour period of fasting and intensive prayer, often spending most of the day in synagogue services. Yom Kippur completes the annual period known in Judaism as the High Holy Days or Yamim Nora'im ("Days of Awe"). Typically in the Jewish festivals, prayers are offered three times a day, but on Yom Kippur, they pray five times. 

We ended the evening with the blowing of the Shofar.  It was a very nice celebration, and I guess I will fast and pray tomorrow until sundown.  


On another note:  today our cat, Maggie was grounded from going outside.  Yesterday, she was a very bad, or should I say, a stupid cat.  Warren called her a couple of times to come in last night, but she never came.  I went out to call her, and look for her.  I could hear a faint "meow", but could not figure out where it was coming from.  By this time, it was dark, so I had to get a flashlight to try to find her.  I finally found her way up in the Pecan tree...way, way up.  I beckoned her to come down, and she tried, but it was pretty much straight down, and she slipped a lot, so she went back to her fork of the tree.  I asked Warren to come out to stand under the tree to catch her in case she fell, but she would not attempt to come down anymore.  We got out our tallest ladder, and put it up right by her hoping she would climb down it.  She tried that too, but slipped and went back up the tree again.  So Warren went up to get her ignoring my protests. It was at least 22 feet up.  I was a nervous wreck, the cat was scared to death, and Warren was determined to be the hero...which he was, for Maggie and me.  I told Maggie when we were going to bed that she was grounded from going outside for one day.  This morning it did not seem to bother her much, but this afternoon, she was meowing to go out.  I did not let her go out.  She meowed some more.  I did not let her go out.  Now, I know she probably has no concept as to why she could not go out, but just in case she does, I stuck to my guns.  
She is just trying to look innocent and angelic here.

I think she's dreaming of being outside, and not stuck in a tree.  
Tomorrow is another day.  Her slate will be cleaned...at least for a little while.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog