Friday, August 24, 2012

Apples, Art, Antics...

"Faith in God includes faith in His timing."  -Neal A. Maxwell

My neighbor, Diane, has two apple trees loaded down with so many apples that they have had to prop up the branches with boards.  I have gone apple picking twice, the last time I took my grandkids along, and they picked two grocery sacks full of apples.  They were quite proud of all their apples, but I kept thinking, "Oh man, what is Laurie going to do with all these apples?"  Little did she know that her munchkins were bringing home such a huge supply.  Laurie said she thought she would have to make about 400 pies!
We have a lot of apples as well.  Good thing I love apples. Warren and I have certainly eaten our share  lately.  I think we might start resembling an apple tree ourselves.  

Warren went for his two week check up on his back this past Wednesday.  He flew to Dallas, rented a car, and saw the doctor.  We were so excited when he got a good report, because Warren was not sure that things were good since he is still having leg pain.   The doctor thinks the pain will gradually get better as the nerve and swelling settle down.  His spine had a 25 degree curve and it has been corrected to a 10 degree curve, which, according to the doctor is a major difference.
 This is the before X-ray.  The third disc from the bottom has slipped (called lysthesis) out to the right, and was pinching the nerve on the left hand side.  We were told that his disc was black (necrotic), so it was good Warren had this procedure.  I was rather shocked when I saw these pictures.  Poor Warren, no wonder he was having so much pain.
This is the after photo.  A "cage" was inserted between the disc.  Warren's bone will eventually grow into the cage causing a natural fusion.  The cage outline can be seen as a small line just to the inside of the large line on the left side.  There are two rods on either side of the vertebra, which are held in place with 4 screws.  Notice the curve is better.  Now we are hoping that everything else will get better.  The Doctor is very confident that it will!


Today, Warren and I drove to Artesia to take some of my photos to enter into a photo art show and contest.  Entries had to be a southwest theme.  Here are my three:



 I could only enter three photos, and it was a toss up between the black and white adobe house and this photo of a prairie storm.  Most people liked the black and white better so I went with it.
I hope I made the right decision.  More importantly, I hope I win something.  After we delivered the photos, we had lunch at the Well-Head restaurant.  This is one of my favorite places to go for a hamburger.  Too bad I couldn't have a hamburger with my diet.  Warren had the burger and I looked longing at it as he took each bite.  I had to settle for a blackened tuna caesar salad, and I must admit, it was rather tasty.

I wondered how it would be to have Warren home full time during his month of recuperation, and it has been pretty good.   I have always heard stories about retired husbands driving their wives crazy, and I was a little afraid that it might happen to me, but it has not.  I have enjoyed having him home.  Our problem comes when we get into the car, and I am the driver, and he is the passenger.  Here are some of our conversations:

Warren:  You can turn here.  Your going to turn right here, aren't you?  It will be shorter if you turn here.
Me: No, I do not want to make so many turns.  Turns make me car sick.  I prefer to go straight and only make one turn rather than three.
Warren:  You can get over now. (changing lanes).
Me: I hadn't planned on getting over.
Warren:  You can turn right here and go to this bank since it is so close. (The new Pioneer Bank)
Me: I planned to go to the bank on Berrendo (the old Pioneer bank) since it is on the right hand side of the street and on our way to SAM's.
Warren:  Pull up to that line (we are at the gas pump), but you'll have to go around to get to the pump.  Oh, too, late.
Me: Well, I was going to go into this line...see the person is pulling out now.

Me: I am driving, and I am going to get us there, so let me drive.  Try to relax and don't tell me how to get there.
Warren: I am not telling you how to get there; I am only asking "if your are going to turn here."

It is the driving that is going to "drive" us crazy, not his being home.

Lastly, our little Maggie is so cute.  She has such personality.  Without fail, when anyone uses the ice maker on the refrigerator, she comes running.  She likes ice, and especially, she likes ice in her water.  We accommodate her whims and add a couple of cubes to her cup of drinking water.  She drinks it right up, and is pretty happy.  Man, is she spoiled, but we sure love doing it.

She helps out with the chores.  See how she helps me clean the bathroom and load the dishwasher?  Everyone needs a helper like she is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog