Monday, July 23, 2012

Soap Making...

"What soap is to the body, laughter is to the soul." -Yiddish Proverb


While at the Soapworks store during my trip, I asked the owner how she got into the Soap and Lotion business. She said it was after her husband became ill, that she started exploring making her own soap.   (He husband had some kind of skin condition and was reacting to commercial soaps.)  She explained that if we used the natural soaps, we would see a big different in our skin, especially if we lived in a dry climate.  I was intrigued and decided to investigate to see how hard it would be to make soap.  I remember my Grandma Norcross made her own soap.  So after watching some YouTube videos, I decided it was not too hard at all, and that I would try my hand at making a batch.  I found a simple recipe, and made some.  About an hour later, I had my soap made, and poured into molds.  I made my soap using Olive oil, lye, and water.  This type of soap is known as "Castile" soap.  It now has to cure for 4 weeks before I can use it.  I definitely need to work on getting more uniform shapes, but I was pleased with my first effort.
I used a loaf pan for the mold of these.  

These were poured into PVC pipe.

I have a lot of soap.

10 pounds worth.  
My next project will be to make soap using coconut oil, milk, honey, and scent.  I have rosemary, and lemon balm in my oil so I will have some essential oil to add to the soap for the scent.  Warren thinks we have plenty of soap already, but I want to try different types.  I am certain I will have to give samples of my soap away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog