Thursday, July 5, 2012

Celebrating July 4th...

"For the happy heart, life is a continual feast."  -Proverbs 15:15

This year was the first year that we did not have a huge July 4th celebration at our house.  I was pretty bummed about the whole thing since we have been doing the July 4th party since the boys were in high school.  In fact, the boys were the pyro technicians, and they put on a fantastic fireworks display that got tons of oohs and aahhs from the spectators.  Not only was I bummed, I was very sad that none of the boys would be home. Even Ian's family was not going to be here.  They were going to Albuquerque.  It looked like July 4th was going to be bleak at the McKelvy household, and for my favorite holiday too.  I decided we would make the situation as best as possible, and have a mini-celebration of our own. (Maybe that is why Warren let me paint his face and put red streaks in his hair--to cheer me up). Anyway I had just gotten back from the store when the phone rang.  It was Teresa McKee saying that she and Mike decided they would have the July 4th party at their house since we could not.  Boy, was I so glad to hear that.  July 4th was rescued!  Most of the regulars made the party, so it was just like old times--except I did miss the boys terribly.  We even got some rain, which we desperately needed, right before the party.   It rained.  It stopped.  The sun came out.  We had our party.  All was right in our own little corner of the world.
4th decorations

Some of the attendees

Warren, glad he did not have to get the yard ready.  And his back is glad too!

Long may the flag wave.

Zach Alvarez and Whitney Bates

As a photographer, I have always wanted to get some great pictures of fireworks.  While these were not the huge, pretty ones that you see at the city fireworks display, I was happy I got some pictures.  Maybe next year I will go to the city display and try to get some better ones.  


On my list of pictures to take is one of the moon that shows it up close with all its craters and topography.  In the past, all my pictures of the moon resembled a mere dot in the sky.  With my new camera with the zoom that goes to 840 mm, I finally got what I wanted.  

I see the moon, and the moon sees me.
God bless the moon, and God bless me. (Nursery Rhyme)

We have the best sunsets here.  I am still working on learning how to shoot them.  This is not exactly gorgeous, but it was fun experimenting.  One of these days, I will get a fantastic sunset.  It is on my photo list.

Maggie says, a good time was had by all.  July 4th was pretty good after all.
She's in her favorite spot: on Warren's lap! 

1 comments:

Laurie said...

Loved seeing all the pictures! Looks like you all had a great time :)

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog