Monday, April 7, 2014

A quick trip to Albuquerque...

"You can't just sit there and wait for people to give you that golden dream, you've got to get out there and make it happen for yourself." -Dianna Ross

I was caught off guard, surprised, and then excited when Warren asked me, spur of the moment, if I'd like to make a quick trip to Albuquerque.  We left on Friday after my water class, and came home late on Saturday.

What was nice, was that Warren took care of everything…well, except for packing my overnight bag.  He wouldn't tell me where we were staying because he wanted it to be a surprise…I had to wait until we got there to see.  Pretty exciting stuff.  Yes, it doesn't take much to add a little excitement in our ordinary, routineness of life.

I loved where he chose for us to stay…Hotel Parq Central located just off I-25 and Central.  I had never heard of the place.  Orginally, the building was an old hospital (the Santa Fe Hospital built in 1926).  In 2010, it was renovated (to the tune of $2.5 million) into a Hotel.  I loved everything about it.  The beds were wonderful…and the pillows, which is very important in our particular season of life…like senior citizens season of life.  They had a continental breakfast that was really a gourmet breakfast…quiche (two kinds), rolls (all kinds), muffins (all kinds), eggs, oatmeal (not your ordinary oatmeal…there were choices of oatmeal with nuts, fruit, and granola), pancakes, waffles, juices, coffee, and tea.  The shower was fantastic.  Oh, I could have stayed under it forever.  Nice and hot, with a shower head that made it seem like you were in a rain forest.  And nice toiletries that smelled wonderful.

lavendar and peppermint…so relaxing...

Hotel Parq Central

Closer look at Hotel Parq Central
This was a framed gigantic postcard hanging in our room.  Look closely and you can see my reflection in it.  The date is March, 1931, and it shows the Santa Fe Hospital as it was back then.

This is what the rooms looked like...
We found a wonderful hamburger joint about 1/2 block from the hotel called "Holy Cow."  When we got there, there were not many people, but by the time we left, there was a line to get in.  The hamburgers were delicious.

Holy Cow restaurant
We took these photos on our walk over to "Holy Cow."  I could not pass up such a unique background.
Loved this background so we each had to get a picture in front of it...

My turn...
The area was a photographer's delight.  As always, I persuaded Warren to pose for me in front of some great places.  He's getting to be a pretty proficient model.  Who knows you might see him one day in Land's End catalog.

Love this man...

Here are some of my favorite spots…I went around taking photos while Warren relaxed in the room.  I think he was relieved he did not have to go with me.


More random photos of the area around our hotel.
I thought these dead roses looked interesting.  I might make some photo art with them. 

A look down Central Avenue...

This is me times two…a reflection in the door, and a reflection from a mirror inside the building...

The tulips were blooming around the hotel…aren't they so lovely, and soft looking...

and lovely light.

Street sign right outside our hotel...

I couldn't believe I found this Iris blooming.  Our area is warmer than Albuquerque, so I thought this was interesting that it was already in bloom.
Warren had his bike serviced while we were there…an ulterior motive for going as well.  The good thing is that he made our trip so much fun.  It was like he planned it special…all for me.  Of course, we did a lot of shopping for me in particular.  Usually, I do not need anything, but this time, I really did need some new spring clothes.  My old ones are way too big for me now.   My osteoporosis diet has helped me lose a lot of weight…23 pounds to be exact.  That is a good side effect of my new eating plan.  I love my new smaller size, and my new clothes.

Good times, Good fun, Good company, Good food, Good hotel, GREAT husband.  We decided we would do this more often.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog