Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A project...The Ice House...

"Constant kindness can accomplish much.  As the sun makes ICE melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate." -Albert Schweitzer

Old buildings are one of my favorite objects to photograph.  Lately, I have been walking, driving, and photographing various landmarks in this area.  My thought is that one day, they will be no more.  Most of the old places I have been photographing bring back wonderful childhood memories.  A few I have photographed because of interest and looks.  The Ice House is the former.  It brings back memories.  Located at the corner of 10th and Virginia, this is truly a landmark.  I remember going there many times to buy ice for our get togethers and parties.  It never was a very aesthetic looking building.  It has always had that rather "rough" look about it.  But it was where we had to go to get ice, since ice was not available in the stores.  Luke and Jordan had their engagement pictures taken on the property.  One of my favorite pictures of them is in front of the turquoise doors which are now boarded up.  I have made the Ice House one of places to document, and decided to make a photo book of some of the pictures.

On another nostalgic note, Roswell used to have an annual Soapbox Derby race down Virginia Street.  The starting line was on College Avenue, and the finish line was at the Ice House.  Each year my brother, Tom, built his car with the help of my father.  I don't remember if he ever won.  I just remember the building if the car and the races.  Good times, good times, and strong memories.

My Ice House project.

Click here to view this photo book larger
Shutterfly photo books  offer a variety of layouts and cover options to choose from.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog