Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Joy of the Word


I am doing the Beth Moore study, "Living beyond yourself", which is a study on the fruits of the Spirit found in Galatians 5:22.
I am sure most of these entries will be concerned with what I have learned. So many times I do a study intending to go back to write down all the little nuggets of information, but somehow I never do. This one will be different, I am actually going to follow through with my intention.

Joy=chara, meaning "joy, rejoicing, gladness--enjoyment, bliss" It is a celebration.

Nothing brings me more joy, than being in the word of God. He speaks to me, and I find unimaginable delight when I am with the Lord. That may sound a little strange since the Lord is with me always, but there is a marked difference when I am purposely in His presence, seeking Him, listening for His voice, and being moved by Him. I feel it in my heart, which seems to grow bigger. It reminds me of Dr. Seuss's, How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The Grinch, a bitter, cave-dwelling, catlike creature with a heart "two sizes too small," discovers the joy of Christmas, "And what happened then? Well, in Whoville they say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day." Joy comes from discovery. Do we not see joy written all over the face of a child as he/she discovers something new? I saw it in my own children and now I see it in my grandchildren.

Following Christ breaks the stranglehold of self in our lives as He becomes the center of our universe. We decrease; He increases. (John 3:30). Oh that He invade every cell and molecule of my being. He is my joy. I think knowing God is like peeling an onion. I never get tired of the word. No matter how much I read and study it, there is always something new. I peel back the layers, and there are more layers. Sometimes He shows me something so new, so astounding, so marvelous, that I have tears of joy. It is hardly containable. Although peeling an onion does not bring about the same emotional response, I am peeling back layer after layer, and the tears are definitely flowing. Psalms 34:8 says "taste and see that the Lord is good", I love the way an onion adds that special punch to our food. I especially like enchiladas with raw onion. An enchilada is not an enchilada without that raw onion. "Taste and see that it is good." It is a delight. God is a delight.

"Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell. Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. (Psalm 43: 3-4)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog