Wednesday, February 7, 2018

This is Us...

"Love is a force more formidable than any other.  It is invisible- it cannot be seen or measured, yet it is powerful enough to transform you in a moment, and offer you more joy than any material possession could." -Barbara deAngelis

I have to say, hands down, the NBC show, "This Is Us",  has become my favorite show.  Love is so on display in this series.  And the show, through the characters, demonstrates how love transforms lives even in the worst of circumstances.  One of my friends recommended that I watch it to pass the time when I was laid up for 2 months recuperating from my broken ankle.  I downloaded the NBC app, and checked it out one day.  At first, I did not like it.  I did not know what was happening as the scenes changed, so I turned it off.  Then after watching  the FEW movies on Netflix and Amazon that did NOT have tons of curse words, or the "F" bomb...which by the way, are hard to find...I went back to check it out again.  I decided to push through at least 2 episodes, and I became hooked.  Since I was starting from the beginning I had all of season one and two to watch.  I did a show marathon, and watched them all in about 3 days.

Characters from left to right: the parents, Rebecca and Jack...middle the twins,  Kate and Kevin,  and Randall the adopted son and his wife that I cannot remember her name.  
If you have not watched it, I would highly recommend it.  I love that this is a family with real problems.  They are honest and earnest about trying to get things right.  Isn't that what we do as parents?...we want to get things right.  Every episode left me feeling good, and encouraged.  Life is hard enough. We need something that will leave us feeling better, and something to which we can relate.  Even in the most perfect family, there is baggage.  We, as parents, have these little lives entrusted to us as clean slates.  We try to sow good seeds into our children, so they will grow up to be productive, healthy individuals.  (Healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually).  No matter how hard we try to be the best parent possible, our parenting is colored by our personality, and our own upbringing.  It is not until our children become adults that we get sneak peeks into our children's lives as they recall certain situations from their childhood through their own story telling.  As parents, we don't always get it right, but as I tell my kids, we did the best we could at the time with what we knew.

That's what this series is all about.  Little peeks into each child's life.  The series goes through separate stories of the kids: Kevin, Kate, and Randall, at different stages of their lives.  We learn their hang ups, strengths, and weakness as a result of their upbringing. I find the stories heart-felt, and true.    We see the parents helping the kids work through the difficulties of life.  As a parent, you will relate. If you have not seen "This Is Us", try one or two episodes.  I think you love it as well.

Main actors...
Hugs...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog