Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Apple Festival...

"Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings..." -Psalm 17:8

Apples are a big business here.  Apple orchards dot the landscape.  I was amazed at how small the apple trees are, yet so full of fruit.


One of the orchards

Look how little this tree is...
The trees just are not very big...yet the yield is great.  

These are Gala apples.  

Don't they look scrumptious?
Equally big is the annual Apple Festival held over Labor Day weekend.  Downtown main street is closed to traffic, orchard owner set up stands, as do craft, and food vendors to sell their wares.

Main street...Apple festival
One cannot leave without buying something...
Honey crisp apples...my favorite.  I bought a bag.
Best of all, if you are a kid, there is a mini carnival that is just right, and so much fun!

Sawyer and Tate...in the sunglasses...

Here everybody...

High five-ing their Daddy!  

Tate on a blow up monster truck slide

Now Sawyer's turn...

this is another monster truck slide...

Tate went down on his stomach...Pawpaw watches...

On to the UFO...we know something about UFO's being from Roswell...


Up, up into the air with Pawpaw and Daddy cheering them on. 

These guys had the time of their life, and did not want to leave.  Such memories, and fun.  They will look forward to next year I am sure!


Also, big for the apple festival is the "Tour D' Apple" bike race.  This year Warren and Luke did it together.  I decided it would be a great photo opportunity, so I went along as photographer.  I got a lot of pre-race photos...

Unloading the bikes...






And the beginning of the race...


See Luke to the right in the red...Warren is just behind him...
But...Well...I thought I had a lot of time before Luke and Warren came across the finish line, so I went for a walk, sat around in the parking lot, talked to the Chick-fil-a lady, went back to the car to grab a bite to eat, and drink...and up walks Luke.  He was finished... really so soon?  And Warren too!  I missed them coming in...and they were the first ones across the finish line for their race.  And I missed it.  I couldn't believe it.  That is the second time I have missed taking photos. (the first was Luke's ironman in Raleigh, NC where I never found him until he crossed the finish line).  I think I am going to have to give up on being a sports photographer.  No! Never give up...there is always next year.

Activities galore were on hand for the Apple festival.  There was an 8K run as well.  I did go with my photo club to take pictures of the run.  The race was not only for adults.  There was a special run for kids...they were too precious, and my favorite part.  Maybe next year Sawyer and Tate will be able to do it.  The photos taken by the club can be seen here: http://www.cameraclubofhendersonville.com/p310767381.

Here are a few of my favorites that I took...









Don't all these kids look like they are having fun?  Cannot wait to do it all again next year.  I'll get Warren and Luke finishing next time... for sure!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog