Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Flower experiment...

"I hope it works!" -Rob McKelvy

When we went to visit my son, Luke, and his wife, Jordan, there was a bouquet of pretty wilted roses on the kitchen counter.  It turns out that Jordan had seen a post on Pinterest about propagating roses from a bouquet.   We did it to her bunch of flowers.  I do not know if hers are growing, but since we have returned home, I decided it was worth a try, so I bought me some roses.  One can always use them as photo props anyway.

My beautiful roses...

When they started to wilt a little, I decided I had better get my propagating started.  First the roses have to be cut off, and most of the leaves stripped from the stem.  Then, make several shallow cuts in the side of the stems near the bottom, dip them in root hormone...mine was from the bottom of the stem to about 2 inches up, then stick the stems in dirt covering half the stem.  (So if your stem is 8 inches, bury it 4 inches.)

The Root Boost rooting hormone

These look like sticks now...hopefully, they will become roses...
That's it.  Keep them watered, and in several weeks new growth should happen.  I really hope it works, because I would love to have twelve new rose bushes.

I found a beautiful hydrangea at SAM's, so I bought it.  Today, I planted in a planter outside.  Some of the flowers were looking rather poorly, so I cut them off.  Now, I had hydrangea and roses that were wilting fast, so I took a lot of pictures of them...I never want to waste anything especially if I can photograph it.

Gorgeous...
Edited in Lightroom, texture: kk_beekeeper from her new Studio Collection, soft light 100%
Linking to Texture Tuesday at Kim Klassen's website.

3 comments:

EarlK said...

The last photo is wonderful. Beautifully done. I hope your rose experiment works.

Deb said...

I can't wait to look at your blog every day! Beautiful thoughts and beautiful photos. I love you Rob McKelvy!

Rob said...

Thanks, all.

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog