Monday, July 12, 2010

The Shadow of the Almighty

One of the things I have been trying to learn as a photographer is light and shadows. These are key elements that can make a picture pop, bringing life to the photo thereby captivating your attention. In my first two photography classes, we were required to use only natural light. Now I am trying to master artificial light for those times when I do not have the option of natural lighting. I have learned that nothing compares to natural light produced by the sun. I can reflect, diffuse, or bounce that light in varying ways on to my subject, producing some amazing effects. Artificial lighting does pretty well, but nothing compares to the effects of the natural. Of course, where there is light, there are shadows. There is harsh shadow, diffused shadow, interesting shadow, and the perfect shadow. So much to learn!

Jesus called himself "light of the world." He is the only natural light and those who dwell in his light reflect, diffuse, and bounce His light to produce amazing effects in this world. There is a lot of "artificial light" out there, but it cannot produce the same effect--in fact, it leaves one feeling flat, just like a picture can be flat and without life. It is only the natural light of Jesus Christ that can produce life. Psalm 91:1 says, "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty"--the perfect shadow.
I love Charles Spurgeon's comments on this one little verse.

"The blessings here promised are not for all believers, but for those who live in close fellowship with God. Every child of God looks towards the inner sanctuary and the mercy-seat, yet all do not dwell in the most holy place; they run to it at times, and enjoy occasional approaches, but they do not habitually reside in the mysterious presence. Those who through rich grace obtain unusual and continuous communion with God, so as to abide in Christ and Christ in them, become possessors of rare and special benefits, which are missed by those who follow afar off, and grieve the Holy Spirit of God. Into the secret place those only come who know the love of God in Christ Jesus, and those only dwell there to who to live is Christ. To them the veil is rent, and the awful glory of the Most Hight is apparent; these like Simeon, have the Holy Spirit upon them, and like Anna they depart not from the temple; of them it is truly said that their conversation is in heaven. Special grace like theirs brings with it special immunity. Outer court worshippers little know what belongs to the inner sanctuary, or surely they would press on until the place of nearness and divine familiarity become theirs. Those who are the Lord's constant guests will find that he will never let any be injured within his gates."

The element of personal choice is of paramount importance. The choice is ours whether we spend time in the inner or outer court. I wish I could say I was always consistent, but I am not. I strive to be, but sometimes I too easily let other things crowd out my quiet time. I think, "I will do it later" and later never happens. I want to be a reflection of Christ's light and to constantly be in His shadow. His shadow is very closely attached to the person of Christ, and that is exactly where I want to be--close to Him. He makes a perfect picture and I want to be in it.


Experimenting with natural lighting at Grace Community Church for
photographing the Discovering membership class.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog