Thursday, November 30, 2017

Alphabet, letters, words...and my cat...F

"Action, looks, words, steps form the alphabet by which you may spell character." -Johann Kaspar Lavater

One gorgeous day in the middle of November, my husband came in the house excited about a picture he had just taken.  It was of a monarch butterfly on one of our cone flowers.  It was a great shot with all the intricate details of the butterfly wings.  It was like a stain-glass object had melded into the prickly seeds of the cone flower.  Stunning would be another great adjective to describe what he was showing me.  Monarchs make their yearly migration through our area.  Before I broke my ankle, I spent a day on the Blue Ridge Parkway trying to find the fields of these butterflies as they are migrating through...but to no avail.  So when my husband showed me this, I was happy to see it, but sad I could not go out to capture my own photo.

One of the hardest things about the fact that I cannot do much of anything but sit while my ankle heals is that I cannot go out to take photos.  I see the beauty of my surroundings and I want to capture it in camera, but I can't.  Our camera club usually has some monthly theme to help us hone and challenge our photography skills.  For the month of November the theme was alphabet.  For some reason, (probably because I have white hair) I translated alphabet to mean letters.  So I had it in my mind that the theme was letters. We can submit up to 3 photos.   I had already taken one photo of a some letters in a bin.  I decided that I was going to take 2 more photos for the November challenge so I could have my three.  Believe me, being on crutches, not being able to weight-bear on my leg, and trying to hold a camera is really a huge challenge.  I had my husband gather up my props, and I worked...working as in sweating kind of work...to get these photos.  And I was wasted tired when I finished.  But I was happy.  I present my finished photos.

F.S. are the initials to my dad, and grandfather's first and middle name: Fred Stephenson.  I was so excited when these two letters, by chance, were on top in a bin of letters.  

Okay, I did this photo because I got it in my mind that the theme was letters, when in fact, the theme was alphabet.  Oh well, its a nice picture anyway. 

My grandkids magnetic letters.  Don't they look wonderful! 

Unfortunately, my photos were not presented at our monthly meeting.  Somehow, they got misplaced.  That's okay...I will show them here, and I was assured the photos would make it into one of the monthly slideshows. Sometime.  

While I was taking my photos, my cat was close by...checking out what I was doing, and checking out things outside.  I love the fact that she's always close by.  She's as faithful as any dog.
I wanted the pictures taken in the afternoon light.  My cat always scouts out the best light.

Watching...

Waiting...

It was good to take pictures again, even if it was somewhat of a challenge.  Hugs and blessings to all.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love your alphabet letter photos AND the ones of your cat! Your first one with the letters in the bin is so unique! There is a place in Black Mountain - Hops and berries maybe? that you can often see monarchs at. He has milkweed, flowers (and hops) and tags the butterflies as they migrate through. It's only a few bucks.

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog