Monday, November 20, 2017

Difficulties...trials...and testing...

"Life is difficult.  Yes, it is-for all of us to some degree-but we get to choose how we walk through it." -M. Scott Peck, from The Road Less Traveled


Road going to Luke's.  The light was amazing that morning
The road in front of our house, and trees on the lot next door.  (photo by Warren)
It has been 7 1/2 weeks that my primary domain has consisted of my bed and the couch since I broke my ankle.  My body is feeling the lack of movement and the constant sitting.  My hips, back, and neck taken the brunt of the inactivity.  They ache.  I have purposely not searched the internet for information on my type of fracture because I did not want to contribute more fire to the my already existing flames of depression. This whole ordeal has been like a roller coaster ride of emotions not to mention the physical ups and downs.  When I first broke my ankle, I was in a splint for a week waiting for surgery.  In the beginning, it was painful, then I got where the pain was tolerable. My walking buddies came over for lunch...which they brought.  That was a highlight to my week.  Balm to my spirit and soul.  
Then came the surgery, and I started all over again with the pain...which was beyond belief.  Horrendous in fact.  I certainly didn’t want to see anybody except Maggie, my cat.  She took good care of me.  I stayed in bed with ice packs, and pain meds. 
After surgery


Ice Packs are wonderful!


Maggie checking my ice pack

Making sure its still cold
 
I think I injured my knee as well.  It was very sore too.  This is 3 weeks post accident.

Gradually the pain got better.  Tolerable pain again.  Two weeks later,  the splint from the surgery came off.  Up goes the pain... again.  I was told that my break on the inside of the ankle was in pieces, hence a second plate had to be put in with several screws.  I have 2 plates, and 12 screws.  Originally, I was told I would have one plate and 3 screws.  


I am bionic now.


Caution: gross pictures.
Outside ankle

Inside ankle
I was given a boot rather than a cast.  That boot is a torture chamber.  I keep it off most of the time.  Next out came the stitches.  New pain on the raw incision.  I am told I have to be non-weight bearing for 3 weeks, but because of Thanksgiving, I have to wait an extra week.  My next appointment is November 30, which I am sure will be a new chapter in pain because I have to learn to bear weight and walk again. 

The boot...aka the torture chamber

Getting there! I don't have the prettiest of feet.
 I am tired of the bed and couch.  Like I said, emotions are all over the place.  One day I am good, the next pretty low.  I know God takes us through hard times and things to conform us more into the image of His son.  My situation reminds me of the shepherd who breaks the legs of the lamb because it wanders off too much.  After breaking the lamb’s leg, the shepherd carries the lamb around his neck, so it learns to stay close to the shepherd. I am not saying I am wayward, I am saying this has forced me to turn to my Shepherd much more diligently and purposefully so my relationship has become more intimate.  I was listening to Lou Giglio the other day, and loved what he said.  He used the passage in Isaiah 6:1 where it says, “in the year Of King Uzziah’s death...I saw the Lord..."  Why is Isaiah telling us this, and why is it important?  Because when God moves in our lives, there are markers that are unforgettable.  There is a moment in life that happens so powerfully and so dramatically, that it freeze frames the experience, and we remember everything about it in detail.  It is not a general blur, but it is an intersection with God.  God gives us revelation in our life...about Him and us.  Isn’t that what happened to Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus?   In our lives, we have these markers over and over again as God takes us from one level of faith, to a higher level of faith.  It’s like He’s growing and strengthening our “faith muscle”.  I feel like this could be what’s going on in this moment of my life now.  I hope I am a good student and am learning my lesson, because I don’t want to have to go around this mountain again.  This I know from Isaiah 41:20... Just as He took Abraham from the ends of the earth, He has taken me. He has called me.  He has chosen me.  He has not rejected me.  He is with me.  He is my God.  He never changes.  He holds me with His righteous right hand.  
      Today, has been a good day for me.  I am grateful to my friends and family who have helped me navigate these difficult times... and for the letters/cards and flowers/plants.  Most of all, hats off to my man.  He has been my strength, my cook, my hands, and my feet.  He has gone above and beyond.  

My man, my love.  He's the best!
Some of my plants...Maggie smelling the mums instead of roses.
Maggie...trying to look pumpkinish

Some letters and cards...

 "Allow the Spirit of God to minister this truth to your soul: God comes with His strength for our feebleness." -Alistair Begg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog