Monday, May 9, 2016

Around Here...

"A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture everyday of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which god has implanted in the human soul." -Goethe

I thought I would do a quick update on things going on around here.  I will start with the twins.  They like to play "hide-n-seek.  Only their way of playing is interesting.  They hide, and tell us to come find them, but always tell us where they have hidden.  Of course, we pretend to search and not find, so they tell us more loudly where they are.  On this particular day, they chose a very unique hiding spot... the washer and dryer.  Tate was in the washer, while Sawyer was in the dryer.


Sawyer must have anticipated us not being able to find him, because he took his puzzle into the dryer with him...

After we "found" them, they both decided to get into the dryer, and put puzzles together.


Spring has sprung around here.  I thought I would take you on a tour of the flowers around our house.



These grow wild around our house, and the lot next door.  I think these are blackberry bushes.  I am waiting to see if I have guessed right.


I planted pansies around my mail box last fall.  They are so pretty now.
I am not familiar with a lot of the plants around here.  I have been hearing about Rhododendrons, and their beauty.  I soon learned what they looked like, but didn't think they were very pretty...until I saw them bloom.  I first noticed the buds...

It appears to be one flower, but it is not.  Each little pink shape, blooms into a flower.  Below is one that has bloomed on the right... with the bumble bee on it.

More buds...




This is what the buds turn into...a bunch of little flowers...


Here is the bush with all the buds blooming...they are gorgeous...


We have several of these bushes as well.  I have no clue what the name of this bush is...

Today, I got to see it in bloom.  Each little red dot, blooms into a beautiful pink flower.  As you can see this one is just beginning to mature.

We have Calla Lilies too.  Well, one plant.  I think it is gorgeous as well...



One of the plants famous in this area is the azalea.  When I saw their spectacular color: red, pink, white, and the bushes covered with blooms, I wanted one of these plants.  I went to the Ace Hardware to buy a couple of plants.  They did not have the color I wanted, so I ended up not buying any.  I was greatly disappointed, but I wasn't going to spend $35 on a color I did not want.  Imagine my surprise the next day I was out watering our bushes when I noticed these buds...

Could I already have azalea plants?  While our neighbors bushes were in full bloom, ours were not. I did have azalea plants!  I just didn't know it until I saw the buds. These are the buds of an azalea plant.  I counted 7 azalea plants around our house!  All of them are the color I wanted: pink.  Isn't God good?  Not only did he give us an awesome house, but He gave me the plants I wanted as well.

I for some time I have wanted to put in a raised bed Herb garden.  I decided to get the project done this past weekend.  I went to SAM's to check on raised beds...they cost about $80.00.  I didn't buy any.  I bought cinder blocks instead.  10 of them.  They cost $1.56/each.  That's a lot cheaper than the one at SAM's.  I spray painted them, and used them to make my raised herb garden.  I like them much better than the premade raised beds.  With the cinder blocks, I can add on at any time.  I planted basil, parsley, tomatoes, bee balm, cilantro, and marigolds to keep the bugs away.


My last big project was to paint a table that Luke had, but was going to donate to Goodwill.   He gave it to me instead...cause I asked for it.  I like to paint tables.    I love how this one turned out.  I graces my front porch...and it does add a lot of color to the area.



That is it for now.  Be blessed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog