Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day one of travel

I don't know why I titled this day one other than it is day one,but I am not sure there will be Internet access on the ship. Therefore, my day one maybe my only day I will have recorded. I guess I will just have to wait and see.

Our (Jane and me) day of traveling getting to the embarkation destination was uneventful,but interesting. Jane is 94 years old so that in itself presents challenges. I wanted her to check her bag so we would not be so loaded down, but she was fearful it would get lost and wanted to keep it. Apparently she lost her bag on a trip to Hawaii and the one she finally received was full of diapers. Since then she travels with her bag. This did not present too much of a problem until the end of the trip when I got my bag.(I checked mine) Seattle airport must have had a moron design it. Baggage claim is on one level and a normal person would have the passenger pick up outside the baggage claim, but it is not. You have to go up one level, cross the street, then go down a level again. This walk is very long for a 94 year old and with two suitcases, two carry ons, and two purses. That little walk took us forever,but we did it. We got the shuttle to our hotel, checked in then headed to the elevators. Keep in mind we are loaded down like camels, and Jane has to hang on to me for balance. (she did not want to bring her walker). When the elevator came I told Jane to go on first. Well she started, but she is so slow that the elevator doors started closing on her. I barely managed to free my hand from all our stuff to keep her from being squashed between the doors. We finally got on with all our stuff, got to our floor, and this time I held the door and told Jane to get off. She started, but was jolted to a stop because she did not have the strenghth to get her suitcase wheels past the crack made from the elevator and the floor. I was holding the door and about 5 bags along with my suitcase so I did not have a free hand to help her. She just couldn't get it unstuck from the crack. I tried using my leg to lift it, but by now the suitcase was turned around backwards and it was not moving. Then the elevator's alarm started ringing. I don't know why other than we had the door open for so long. There was nothing that I could do, but put down my load, get her suitcase going in the right direction then go back for my things, and get off. When I had us both off the elevator, I took her suitcase and placed it on top of mine and pulled them both. Whew! We made it. The bad thing is that we have to repeat this in reverse tomorrow. We have to go back to the airport to get the bus that takes us to the ship. Maybe our experience yesterday combined with a good nights rest will strengthen us for tomorrow.


Laurie said...

Oh, MAN! I'm exhausted just reading your post about all the elevator & airport drama. Sheesh! I hope you and Jane have gotten a good night's sleep by now & that all is well :)

Post a Comment

© Rob's Blog