Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sad News

I found out yesterday that two of our friend's boys were found dead from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. I knew Michael Hillman from several years of swimming lessons. He was a great kid and I am so sorry he is no longer with us. Here is the story that was in the Roswell Daily Record. Tuesday, April 13, 2010:

Arizona police say two Roswell teenagers reported missing over the weekend were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning on Monday.
Jesse Andrus and Michael Hillman, both 18, were found in the camper portion of a pickup truck by Scottsdale police in an Arizona parking lot. The two Goddard High School seniors were returning to Roswell from a weekend rodeo in Carefree, Ariz.
“At this time, it appears that both subjects died from apparent accidental carbon monoxide poisoning as a generator on the rear of the vehicle may have been running,” stated Officer David Pubins, of the Scottsdale Police Department.
The Roswell Police Department contacted the Scottsdale police asking for assistance locating the teens at about 10:30 a.m., Pubins said. Telephone GPS tracked their location.
“There are some blue and black days coming,” said Kyle “Smiley” Wooton, of the Roswell Livestock Auction.
Wooton said Hillman sometimes worked at the auction and both teens were often around.
“The boys were pretty much raised up here around the stockyard, he said. “Right at the moment, it doesn’t feel like it has sunken in.”
A spokeswoman for the teen’s family said it was believed they pulled into a parking lot to sleep before heading back to Roswell.
“Investigators believe the teens had plugged in the generator before going into the camper to rest,” said Kim Stecklein.
A crisis intervention team was set up at Goddard High School Monday afternoon, said Michael Gottlieb, superintendent of the Roswell Independent School District.
“We set up groups to come in and work with students and staff (who are) grieving,” he said. “We started them (Monday) afternoon and we’ll be there as long as we need to.”

In addition to this news, another former swim student, Taylor Nunez, recently had surgery to remove a mass in her abdomen. Warren saw her initially, sent her to Dr. Mooney, who operated with Drs. Whitwam and Wenner. Unfortunately, the tumor could not be totally removed, so she was sent to Albuquerque.

More bad news: Shelly Coll was diagnosed with colon cancer that has metastasized to her liver.

All these people and their families need prayer. Warren and I will certainly be lifting them up.


Eryn said...

Wow, I know Shelly! When was she diagnosed? I am close with Taylor too! My mom told me about her. As for the two boys, yes it will be a rough week at school but God can do great things!

Post a Comment

© Rob's Blog