Tuesday, August 11, 2015

What we see...

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for." -John Lubbock

"There is such a thing as sacred idleness." -George MacDonald

George MacDonald is one of my favorite Christian writers.  When I read his books, I do not want them to end.  I really like the stories.   He writes for children as well.  One of my favorite books...that I read aloud to my children...was At the Back of the North Wind.  They liked that book the most.  Why I tell you all this has nothing to do with my post today.  I guess the quote by him brought back some rather fond memories.

I have been told that as a photographer, I should never be without my camera.  Well,  I do have it with  me most of the time, but lately I have been rather slow on the draw.  (that is Wild West lingo ...slow on the draw, for those who are not familiar with the term, means the other guy got his gun drawn out of his holster before you did).  I did not quite get my camera out in time...so I missed...

1.  A great owl (I mean really huge) that was swooping down across the yard.
2.  A raccoon sidling under the backyard fence, and dashing across the yard.
3.  A raccoon looking in the sliding glass window.  He had to crawl up a 15 foot deck.
4.  A rat snake in the side yard.
5.  A fox running across the street.

Here's what I did manage to get...albeit not the greatest photos.  These critters were on the run...

1.  Four wild turkeys running in the front yard.



2.  A white squirrel... eating a pecan.  Where did it find a pecan?  There are not pecan trees around here.


As an aside, Warren saw a deer crossing the road as he was out biking.

I did capture some creatures who were not running across the yard, or even running in the slightest.   They were sitting... perhaps enjoying some "sacred idleness."

1.  Maggie sitting in the sunlight...


2.  Warren sitting on the porch...


Two of my favorite creatures.
Hugs and blessings.  xoxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog