Sunday, May 15, 2011

Just finished my 1st week assignment

I just finished my week 1 assignment for my online photo class with Karen Russell... http://www.snapshotsofagoodlife.com.  The assignment was on viewpoint and composition.   For our viewpoint, we were to have a subject sit on the ground, read a book, color, or some activity where they could remain fairly still.  Then we were to walk all around them with no camera, studying each view...
front, sides, back, ground and eye level, and from above.  Next we took pictures from each viewpoint.  We submitted our best and worse explaining why.  We looked at rule of thirds, things merging with the body, leading lines, horizon, and framing.

This was my worse...the fence & railing merge with his body, and the shed is distracting.
It was taken at ground level.

I liked this one the best...I was on a ladder.  His eyes fall in the top third of the picture, and the background is better.
Our composition was to be a shoot at a place of our choosing.  We were to walk around observing, then get our camera and take pictures of our subjects, but we could not give any directions to them.  We had to make the composition work.  I chose to take pictures of our photography club field trip to the Iris farm in the Hondo Valley. (http://hondoirisfarm.com).  It is an incredible spot...almost a little piece of heaven here on earth.   Again, we submitted our best and worse, giving explanations of why.  It was a very good and difficult exercise.  I am not sure I got it right on anything, but I sure had fun.  And I got some fun shots of flowers and humming birds as well.

My worse.  Overexposed, and not sharp.

My favorite. Taken on an angle.

Irises from the Iris Farm

They have lots of humming birds too.  I managed to catch this one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Rob's Blog